Thursday 10 January 2019

WHY I USE INSTAGRAM ?

I have two use cases: "taking pictures of my food" and "learning about photography".WHY I USE INSTAGRAM

"Taking pictures of my food" is using Instagram to journal your day. It's whatever you happen to be doing and whatever happens to catch your eye. Picture -- filter -- post -- boom. This is how I began using Instagram and it's a fine way to start using the app and building a following, but there's no there there. I would've stopped using Instagram long ago if I hung with this use case because 90% of my day is really boring and not that photogenic. So, I moved to use case #2…

"Learning about photography" is my modus operandi for Instagram. The genesis of this use case is a result of the design of Instagram. I took what I thought was an picture of my day, filter it, and posted it -- boom. Suddenly, likes galore. What I considered to be an average photograph had struck a visual nerve in the folks that follow me, so now the game is to understand why this particular photo resonated and attempting to reproduce the result.

After hundreds of posts to Instagram, what I've reverse engineered is the audience reacts[1] to:

  • Geometry
  • A punch of color
  • A significant vanishing point
  • Captivating composition (note: there's probably a book written on just this topic)

I'm certain anyone who has a taken a single photography class is thinking, "No. Duh."  I haven't taken aforementioned classes and these discoveries are novel and, as a nerd, novel is what it's all about.

1. I'm certain the fact that many Instagrams are thumbnails is the reason color and geometry test highly.

No comments:

Post a Comment